regulatory header graphic

Nationwide Permit Documents

Individual Permits

Individual permit applications require a full public interest review.   A Public Notice is distributed to all known interested persons. After evaluating all comments and information received, a final decision on the application is made.

The permit decision is generally based on the outcome of a public interest balancing process where the benefits of the project are balanced against the detriments.  A permit will be granted unless the proposal is found to be contrary to the public interest.

Processing time usually takes 60 to 120 days unless a public hearing is required or an environmental statement must be prepared.

To apply for an individual permit, an application form must be completed.  This application is available from all regulatory offices and this link,  Permit Application Form.  (NOTE:  The document must be opened using Adobe Acrobat, it will not open in a web browser, right click the "Application Form" link and select "Save Link As" to download the application. Then go to the folder you downloaded to and open the PDF document. You may need to select "Enable All Features" to view the form in Adobe Acrobat.)

Nationwide General Permits

Nationwide Permit (NWP) is a type of general permit which authorizes a category of activities throughout the nation. These permits are valid only if the conditions applicable to the permits are met. If the conditions cannot be met, a regional or individual permit will be required. Summaries of the nationwide permits are available. A few of the nationwide permits are briefly listed here:

Repair, rehabilitation, or replacement of a structure or fill which was previously authorized and currently serviceable. The structure or fill must not be significantly changed.

Utility lines placed across a waterway. Discharge of bedding and backfill material is permitted if bottom contours are not changed.

Single projects of less than 10 cubic yards of fill. Piecemeal work is not authorized.

Bank stabilization projects less than 500 feet long containing less than an average of one cubic yard of material per running foot. The activity must be necessary for erosion protection and may not exceed the minimum amount needed for erosion protection. Fill is not to be placed in wetland areas or in a manner that impairs water flow. Materials free of waste metal products and unsightly debris must be used and the activity must be a single, complete project.

Concrete poured into tightly sealed forms or cells if the concrete is a structural member not otherwise regulated.

Minor road crossing fills (temporary or permanent). The crossing must be bridged or culverted to prevent restriction of high flows. The fill placed in waters of the US is limited to no more than one-third of an acre.

Regional General Permits Within The Little Rock District

Regional Permits are issued by the District Engineer for a general category of activities when


  1. The activities are similar in nature and cause minimal environmental impact (both individually and cumulatively), and
  2. The regional permit reduces duplication of regulatory control by State and Federal agencies.




GP-GG      Activities Associated with the Exploration and Subsequent Production of Hydrocarbons (789 KB PDF)

GP-GI        Construction, Operation, and Maintenance of Recreational Facilities in Navigable Waters of the United States (3.04 MB PDF) 

GP-GS       Construction of Steps, Walkways, or Footbridges on all Navigable Waters in the Little Rock District (3,445 KB PDF)

GP-GU       US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) Work on the McClellan-Kerr Arkansas River Navigation System and on USACE Lakes
                   within the Little Rock District (2,427 KB PDF)

GP-34M     Mechanical Sand and Gravel Excavation in the State of Missouri (320 KB PDF)

GP-41        Permanent Protection/Repair of Flood Damaged Structures, Lands or Fills in the State of Missouri (637 KB PDF)

GP-45        Maintenance of Man-Made Lakes and Ponds in the State of Missouri (268KB PDF)


Contact the District Regulatory office in your area for more information regarding regional permits.