us army corps of engineers logo - white castle on red background


Applying for a Permit

Corps permits are necessary for any work, including construction and dredging, in the Nation's navigable waters. The Corps balances the reasonably foreseeable benefits and detriments of proposed projects, and makes permit decisions that recognize the essential values of the Nation's aquatic ecosystems to the general public, as well as the property rights of private citizens who want to use their land. During the permit process, the Corps considers the views of other Federal, state and local agencies, interest groups, and the general public. The results of this careful public interest review are fair and equitable decisions that allow reasonable use of private property, infrastructure development, and growth of the economy, while offsetting the authorized impacts to the waters of the US. The adverse impacts to the aquatic environment are offset by mitigation requirements, which may include restoring, enhancing, creating and preserving aquatic functions and values. The Corps strives to make its permit decisions in a timely manner that minimizes impacts to the regulated public.

Section 401 of the Clean Water Act gives authority to each state to issue a Water Quality Certification for any project requiring a federal permit or license.  This authority is given in order for the state to verify the project does not violate state water quality standards.  To help applicants avoid and minimize impacts to water quality, the department may require actions (conditions) on projects as part of a 401 Certification.  Many Corps permits, such as Nationwide Permits and Regional General Permits, are pre-certified by the State and subject to a set of general and specific conditions set by the State for minor impacts.  Please Note:  There are certain conditions that are not included in these Water Quality Certifications and may require the applicant to apply for an Individual Water Quality Certification from the State.  Standard (Individual) DA Permits will typically require an Individual Water Quality Certification.  If you are unsure of what type of permit your proposed project may require, you can contact us via our general email inbox for more information.

 More information concerning the State Section 401 requirements and procedures can be found at the links listed below:

Arkansas -
Missouri -


DA Forms and Instructions

Individual Permit Application Form 

Nationwide Permit Pre-Construction Notification

NOTE:  Internet Explorer is recommended for viewing.
If you receive an error message regarding your PDF viewer, right click the
"Application Form" link and select "Save Link As" to download the application.
You may need to select "Enable All Features" to view the form in Adobe Acrobat.

Application Instructions
Application Information

NOTE:  This form is used for Nationwide Permits. 
Internet Explorer is recommended for viewing.  If you receive an error message 
regarding your PDF viewer, right click the "Application Form" link and select
"Save Link As" to download the application. You may need to select "Enable All
Features" to view the form in Adobe Acrobat.


Payment of Department of the Army Permit Fees via

Applicants are now able to pay Department of the Army permit fees online at instead of writing and mailing a check. This convenient option allows for multiple payment methods (bank account, Amazon account, PayPal, debit or credit card). The direct link for making Department of the Army permit fee payments on is Click here for a payment walk-through which explains the process

Common Files
Drawings Information
Sample Drawings














With your completed application, please include the following:

  • Vicinity Map
  • Plan views of existing conditions and proposed work (including dimensions)
  • Cross sections (including dimensions)


Send complete application to:



U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
P.O. Box 867
Little Rock, AR 72203